Friday 22 February 2013

1. Important Book Elements

Elements Of A Book That Matter To Me

I read a lot of different stuff, but for narratives, there are a couple things that, for me, make a book a lot lighter on the eyes.


1. Engaging - There is not a whole lot I like less than a boring book. For the first couple chapters of The Hobbit I was ready to claw my eyes out but after that I couldn't put it down. Sometimes books are boring to start because you can feel bogged down with information, however this gives the book more depth later on. This makes it much easier to connect and sympathize with the characters because you feel like you know them.

2. Another thing is run-on sentences, a book (or any piece of writing for that matter) should never have any run-on sentences, it's almost as if when I read them, I get out of breath, and I have to take a little breath in my head, it 's really no fun and as the sentence runs on longer, and longer I feel like the author is speeding up as they say it, essentially what I'm saying is that it really ruins that part of the book for me.


3. Appropriate choice of language - a book that is set in a victorian time period, should be written with Victorian english. This really helps me get into a book because everything feels so... appropriate. Furthermore, there is something to be said about profanity. I mean, I don't want want to read about Huckleberry Finn's "African-American friend"



1 comment:

  1. Try to include all of these details in a coherent paragraph response. I will let your run-on sentence go - as I think you did that on purpose(....point taken). There are a few stylistic errors you will want to edit and revise and then repost:

    1. " couple chapters of 'The Hobbit' " (How do you punctuate book titles?)
    2. "Sometimes books are boring to start but it's makes the rest better because it sets it up better". (How do you punctuate a compound sentence with a coordinating conjunction? Typo? it's ...)
    3. "that is set in a victorian time period, should be written with Victorian english.. . huckleberry Finn" (capital letters?)

    ReplyDelete